2.26.2005

Learning Style Test

As a supplement to our exploration of semiotics and achieving meaningful communication (understanding audience), each member of the class took a self-administered Learning Style Test.

My test results showed that I am primarily a verbal, solitary learner. The Myers-Briggs test, which I took years ago, provided a similar picture of my personality, if not learning style. So no major surprises in my testing experience.

I think I gained the most from our post-test discussions about our test experiences. Bart mentioned a 5-point Likert scale, which he and others felt would have produced a more accurate assessment than the 1-to-3-scale. I felt some of the test questions were "leading." I'm glad Bart pointed out a change in the format that could help fine tune our responses, better capture nuance.

Callie answered a question that had been on my mind as soon as I saw this test. The test's authors tout its benefits for educators and group leaders. This seemed like too much effort; could it actually be worth the effort? Do teachers actually sample entire classes? Callie had a professor who used a similar test to de-conflict and energize group-work assignments. She feels that by organizing groups according to students’ learning styles and personalities, more productive, balanced groups were created.

Today’s average American is probably exposed to thousands of times more information in a day than his/her ancestors of just a few generations ago. Blanketed with a fog of useful information, irrelevant ads and pop-ups, knowing how to maximize your learning style (and personal time) is essential. I think this kind of testing can be beneficial, though I was displeased with some of this test’s learning-strategy recommendations. Although I might be a verbal/aural learner, I can’t imagine having the time or musical aptitude to make up jingles and rhymes to help my memory. Professional help may be necessary. Ask your doctor before acting on this test's recommendations.

Some kind of learning style evaluation would probably help most Americans, particularly if administered when we are children. This is the position of a famous child development professional and researcher, Dr. Mel Levine, of Chapel Hill, NC. Calling the process “demystification,” Dr Levine believes that we are all programmed differently and must tailor our learning methods/tricks/techniques to fit our learning styles.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christy Kinnion said...

Hi, Drew. Sounds like our scores were similar. I'm strangely social and solitary though...not sure what that means. Must be the Libra coming out in me. Your blog looks great.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home